Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Day 16: Gandalf to my Frodo...(Drivin' around Illinois with the Hippie and the old man)..remembering Mike Truskey who died three years ago this day... (part a.)

 


 

It was three years ago today when I arrived home from a split shift at work, coming in the back door, hearing the hiss of the stove, a pan of water making plosive sounds ready to erupt into a pre-mature boil. I saw him on his reclining chair in the living room. His eyes were shushed. His faced titled, as if chocked. His lips had this expression—as if his lips were made out of putty and he was trying to form cursive letters with his lips. As if he were a little boy pirouetting in front of the water faucet in a park, not quite tall enough to reach the stream of liquid, pursing his lips to get a nourishing slurp. 

 I touched the back of his neck and found it tepid.  I touched his forehead and it was still warm. I chanted his name. I shook him. I thought he was playing a joke—Mike loved to joke. One time I came out of the shower and entered my bedroom naked and there was melanoma on the drywall and then it turned out to be a bat whispering at me in nylon hushes. I ran out, dressed up like an eskimo and killed the bat with a shovel. The next day Mike had (somehow) found  twenty fist sized plastic bats , opportunely stationing them atop the blades of the illuminating overhead oscillating fan in my room so when I entered my chamber the next night after my shower and hit the switch plastic bats soared at me from every which way direction, but.

The water hissing on the stove was not yet at a boil. I slap my hands as if instigating a slow-clap in an 80’s teenage movie. I yell out his name. I start cursing. I tell him to quit fucking with me. I tell him to cut it out. I grapple my hands on his shoulders and shake him several times.  There is nothing. His eyes are still stapled in a crunch. His lips are still contorted in a rubbery posture.

Something happens to the body in moments of extreme chaos and disorder. A calm ensues. I grab the phone. I dial the three digits. I tell the operator on the other end that my roommate is unresponsive. He asks for my address. He tells me that he is sending the paramedics over. He states that he is going to instruct me how to perform CPR. I tell him I am already certified.

I reel Mike’s body off the recliner. In the process Mike’s head hits the floor. It kills me. His glasses are crooked now. He is lying in supine posture, his head titled back so that his mouth is open. I close my eyes and breath into his body like hell, as if I am Aeolus. As if I can pour something from my body into his that will animate his senses.

 

There is nothing, I begin to press down on his chest. I’ve been certified in CPR for three years but one thing they neglect to tell you when you practice the pumping the standard ABBA ‘Staying Alive’ theme song on the Red Cross dummy is that, when you first press down in the center of the client’s chest, usually you hear a snap indicating that there ribs are broken.

I’m not used to hearing this snap. When I press down there is a crackle. In the last five minutes I have found my roommate unresponsive, I have shaken him, I have said that he was bluffing, I have inadvertently knocked his head on the living room while trying to resuscitate him, I have kissed him, I have blown Carbon-dioxide into his body and know, I have cracked his anatomy even more.

 

I continue to thrust up and down like a piston. Mike’s body continues to listlessly flap. I continue to curse. I can hear the sirens in West Peoria echo into a reverberated shrill. Five minutes later two officers enter the living room. One officer says he’ll continue to push if I blow. We are working his body, kneading our fingertips and our lips into his body, as if he were a musical instrument, trying to get him to make a sound. The paramedic will arrive flooding the house. In the haste two lamps are overturned, casting elongated shadows against the wall. I am trying to give the West Peoria fire chief his name with the correct spelling. There is a defibrillator hooked up to him that keeps on exploding.  The paramedic is holding the clamps like maracas and for some reason I keep expecting him to say the word clear but he refrains. The neighbor enters the house and I tell him to go upstairs and stay with Anthony. The next thing I realize there is a gurney and Mike is being hoisted out the front door, the door with the blue porch. The door we never used. The ambulance seems to be aided by the aegis of thrusters as it shoots out from the gravel of our driveway taking a hard left on Heading Avenue. I ride downtown to Methodist with the fire chief, the same fire chief with the handle bar moustache I spoke with while watching Haddad’s burn down on New years eve.  He drops me off and I enter the ER.  In the room I can see Mike’s shadow. There are eight doctors huddled around him as if discussing a play on third and long. I hear more snaps. More bleeps. After a five minutes of frenetic activity there is a lull. Slowly doctors exit the room. Slowly they are swiping their heads. For some reason I seem aggrieved how everything in the hospital is almost too damn white. The doctor in the ER with the curly hair turns to me and asks me a question, he asks me if I am the son of the old man.

 


                                                                        ***
                                                                                
   



I first met Mike Truskey in spring 2001, I had dropped out of college to write full time. I had 500 pages of a manuscript tucked under my arm so often friends thought I was wearing a cast. I lived on High street (note)  in an apartment located in a historic 1844 mansion, the coolest house in Peoria. I had a loveable gay roommate. I taught children English in an alternative high school. I smoked cigars and drank single malt scotches. I dated classy women who listened to opera.

 
Life was good.



Somehow life was that of a fairy tale. When I moved into the castle on High street there was a prince, Dave Thompson, my classy gay roommate. There was a King, Larry Reents, who was my high school English teacher and who lived next door in his Versailles-adorned house. There was a troubadour, my brother folk singer Dave McDonald who rented  what was once the servants’ quarters house from Larry and there was Mike Trusky, the Psychic, the magician, the trickster figure who lived down the street.    
 

I first met Mike one spring day when I was walking down High Street to Moss, then to Bradley library to get a couple of hours writing in. Mike waved at me from his front porch. He was an older man. He wore thick glasses and wore a ring with funny hieroglyphics dancing on the front.

He had a baseball diamond goatee. He kind of resembled Black Stone the magician who sold all the magic kits in late seventies kids would perform at Gradeschool talent shows, He walked with a haunch. His legs were birch-stilts. His body, body, mismatched, like trying to balance a bowling pin upside-down.  He head eyes that looked like piercings 8-balls that would balloon with inscrutable eeriness when he transitioned into psychic mode.
 
He told me that he was looking for someone to help out (ie, mow the lawn, housework) for him over the summer. I told him I was a writer and intended to spend the entire summer slamming out sentences for my novel.
He then kept on appearing. He would honk. If he saw me walking by he would wave me inside his apartment and offer me a plate of food.

He would keep appearing as if steeping out of a time-hole in sync with his intuitive gait. The Labor Day before 9-11 I went to the gas station to use the phone and a prostitute accosted me, claimed she would give me a blow job for twenty dollars. I turned to her and inquired if she gave hugs and told her that I would give her twenty dollars if she gave me a hug. I then felt the overwhelming need, somehow, to save her. Ran back to my apartment on high, quickly filled a bag with provisions, including boxes of Tofu from my crazy ex-girlfriend, ran down back to the gas station, only to find her gone. When I turned around there was beep.

It was Mike.

Thus we began a relationship where, if he would see me walking, he would honk twice and I would get into the side wing of his green Cadillac and he would aimlessly drive. He had stories that were mystic and inscrutable and kind of eerie. He had given psychic readings to esteemed clairvoyant Greta Alexander. He had visited sites that were quote, “haunted” and possessed performed a series of prayers and, with an inexplicable gush of wind and a clattering of stationary furniture a peace with come over the abode and the house would be cleansed. I was dubious. At times he would talk and there would be a glow around his Blackstone-the-magician face. A metaphysical aureole would cocoon around his visage in blinks of lights. If we would be having dinner at a restaurant he would be talking about an old ‘pioneer’ or mystic friend who had passed-on and the lights in the building would suddenly stutter and wink, Mike would look north, nonchalantly say that said person is in the room with us, before returning back to his meal.

He also traveled the world teaching the Baha’i faith, which, in my theological insouciance mistook for the B’nai B’rith home downtown. He was reluctant to tell me anything about the faith. Finally I badgered it out of him, Mike uttering the names of Islamic-sounding prophets, none of which I have heard of before.

The next was nine-eleven and there were Islamic-sounding names plopping around everywhere.
 Boy was I confused.
 

He lived in a house near where High Street rolls into the edge of Moss. It was a large house and Mike sold it to the neighbor and moved into their apartment. I had known Mike for maybe a month when he saw me tramping down the street in between a writing session. He waved me over, told me he could see me walking before I left my apartment then inquired if I could move a few chairs. When I entered his new apartment he got silent then he pointed.
He then told me to look around:
“Look around, you’re going to be living here someday.”
Living with a crazy old man-psychic was the furthest thing from my mind.
 I brushed it off as bosh went home to my palace and cracked open a beer.

 
 

 
I would later learn more about this peculiar man with crazy abilities. I would learn that when he was a kid in southern Illinois he was raised by his grandparents and that, one night when he was like five, he had a nightmare where his grandfather died which scared. Young Mike then clambered into his grandparents bed only to be awaken several hours later, his grandmother screaming.

His grandfather had endured a stroke in the middle of the night and was dead.

I learned that Mike had a vivacious loveable-eccentric mother and that he only saw his biological father once (“he was eating bread with whipped butter,”)  I learned that he attended Illinois State and enrolled in the Airforce before attending seminary because he wanted, “to find out if there was a god or not.”

I learned that, shortly after exiting the seminary, he became a Baha’i, after living next to Baha’is named Dick and Anne in Bloomington. Anne was an artist and there were no curtains on their windows. People were coming over at all hours and always leaving with heaps of food. A lot of the people who were coming over to the neighbor’s house were artists, but some looked like they could be homeless and there was always a huge ethnic array of genealogies present. Mike was baffled.  He couldn’t understand what was going on. He was sick of always seeing people come in and out of a house with no blinding’s or shades ferrying heaps of food, laughing. Mike later went out and bought shades for the convivial neighbors, knocking on their door, handing them the shades, telling them to cover their window. Mike arrived in the middle of a festival called Feast. The house was full of people mingling and laughing. Anne graciously accepted the curtains thanking Mike before telling him he needed to come back another day and talk because they were in the middle of Feast, vexing Mike even more.

 Mike then went over to her house the next day, and, like this author would thirty years later, badgered the rudiments of the Baha’I faith out of her. Anne was  vacuuming the floor. Mike kept being inquisitive and pesky. Finally Anne stomped the vacuum into a halt turned to Mike and said, “You are Christian, right? You know how you guys’ believe that Chirst will come return? We believe that he already has.”

Mike then quoted a well-anthologized verse of scripture about the return happening like a thief in the night.

Anne then turned to Mike and said, “How do you know when a thief has arrived in your house.”

When Mike looked back at Anne perplexed she responded, “By coming home and seeing that everything you have is gone.”

 

Mike then went next door, mulled the Baha'i faith, read everything he could about it. One night when he couldn’t sleep he turned to his roommate.

 

“I don’t get it. This makes more sense than anything I ever heard in my life.”

The roommate concurred.

The next day both Mike and his roommate both became  Baha’is.  
 
 
 
                            
 

I would learn that he loved the Baha’i faith. That he traveled the planet teaching his beliefs which, to me, is intrinsically, putting others needs and beliefs ahead of that of your own and fostering the growth of this arboretum of human consciousness we call the planet.  


I would learn that he loved spending time with Baha’i kids in the area and that they would always refer to him as Uncle Mike.

Uncle Mike.


 
                                                                        ***
 

When I was living in the mansion on High Street my father died rather suddenly. I was in the hospital watching the sallow features of his face crunch out the last vowels of his time here on this planet. I hadn’t spoken with Mike in a couple of months. I was kind of avoiding him because he would always start sounding like Yoda. He would glow. Sometimes he would start talking about the Baha'i faith or about friends of his who had passed and time would envelope and slow down and I would experience what Uncle Mike would refer to as ‘Vibratory rates.” Every time I walked through the Victorian brimming houses dotting the sidewalks of High-Vine I would feel like he would spontaneously sprout, honking at me in his Cadillac insisting that I get in the car, breaking into long narrative using an arcana I was unfamiliar with, always insisting that I have dinner with him ( he liked to eat), always stopping by, usually unexpected, at other Baha’is  domiciles in the area, dropping off gifts, always giving me ten bucks when he dropped me off at my house to ensure I had food for the week, telling me to “put the funds in my pocket now so I don’t lose it.” 
He was also weirding me out because he was always saying prayers for friends of his who had died, informing me that eternity is closer than we could ever fathom.


In the hospital the night of my father's untimely demise I was surrounded by people I love. David Hale and David Thompson and Pat McReynold’s (the protagonist of my novel, holding the author of the text up) and my classy girlfriend at the time. Somehow I got the idea that I would call Mike and tell him that my father was dying and that he wasn’t expected to make it through the night.  When I called him up I asked if he could say prayers for my father. He told me not to worry. That everything was going to be fine and that my father would pass peacefully from one world to the next. Mike then called back fifteen minutes later and told me that he called other Baha’is in the area and that they were praying for my father’s passing as well.


Still to this day the gesture of people I hardy knew praying for my farther on his death bed means so much.

 When my grandmother in Chicago died year later told me to go to the House of Worship in Wilmette. He told me to say certain Baha’i prayers for her. He then told me what prayer I should say when I see my grandmother in the corpse and to remember what I was seeing before me embalmed in the corpse was only a ‘coat’ so to speak. That the body of her spirit was elsewhere. when I returned back from my grandmother's death in the Spring of 2003 I found myself homeless. I was still working 60 hours a week but the house where I ad been staying since I moved off of high was being sold to build a Walgreens. For a while I crashed in my station wagon in Jumer's parking lot. One night Mike called my cell phone and asked if I could come over for dinner. He asked where I staying and I refused to answer, fabricating, telling him that I was crashing with a friend.
 
Mike then pointed down the room and told me that I bed was already made.
 
Later that I night I remember how, when I was helping him move in, he told me to look around, because I would be living here some day
 
                                                                      ***

Thus began my relationship with living with Uncle Mike. The old man and the Hippie. Gandalf to my Frodo. During my first three years living as his roommate he never charged me rent. There was always food. We would go on long aimless drives in the country and Mike would share mystic stories, stories about the early Baha’i pioneers, stories about his mystical teacher Pearl, stories about his paranormal encounters. Again and again Mike would tell me that he knew I was coming to stay with him.

That the Concourse had ordained that it would be so.
 

Mike loved to cook and invite people over to the house and entertain. Some of recipes are legendary. He would describe his meatloaf as being sinful. He made this greek chicken that would melt off the bones. Every night there was a full meal. On the weekend he would have guests over and cook a feast. Instead of praying Mike had an unwritten mandate that everyone had to go around the room and state what they were thankful for that day.
Mike insisted on sleeping on an air mattress in the living room. I was still working around the clock and going to school full time. I was working the grueling 11pm-3am shift at the library. After a day of classes and writing I would arrive home at five and he would have dinner waiting. I would then give his a backrub (he loved backrubs) and crash on his couch before he got me up at ten informing me that it was time for me to go to work.

 The first year I lived with Uncle Mike (2003-2004) was the most prolific of my literary career. I pissed out over 500,000 words, joyously blowing my wrists out in the process.  I drove up to St. Paul and attended (my mentor) Garrison Keillor’s 30th anniversary broadcast of a Prairie Home Companion. I published my first story in a local literary journal, even though I wouldn’t let him read it because it was about a cross dressing PrinceCharming  a la Cinderella fairy tale.
While crashing with Uncle Mike I witness kindness and giving on an unparalleled level. Everyone he met he seemed to give them something. While living with him I’ve seen him give away at least three vehicles. He would buy furniture for families who needed it. Every week there was someone else he took out to dinner.
 Every week he was always giving.
 I also learned to  invest more in Uncle Mike’s psychic prowess, simply for one reason:
True Psychics’ tell you shit you don’t want to hear.
 
                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment